Sunday, April 5, 2009

30th Century Man

I saw 30th Century man at Belcourt last night. It was really good. The first half was more of a typical documentary feel and the second half was about Scott Walker's more recent studio efforts. I don't know how I haven't heard of him before. It's pretty mind blowing. He started out in the boy band The Walker Brothers and slowly progressed into something else. I've never heard anything like it before. Brian Eno is in it. he listens to an old Walker Brothers song and shakes his head and talks about how disgusting it is that music hasn't progressed since that in the last 50 years. The strange thing is that Scott Walker has done exactly that. I really recomend getting something more recent of his. The Drift is his latest record. It somehow touched the subconcious when you listen to it, I've never experienced anything like it throgh music, it's very bizarre. I don't know how he does it. I'll be honest, he has a really weird voice, which I don't particularly enjoy, but if you get past that it will blow your mind. He is the original NIN and Radiohead (I don't care what you think, NIN is the evil twin of Radiohead).
Here is Scott's earlier stuff

And here is something off his most recent album

No comments:

Post a Comment